Monday, June 14, 2010

Adding Lime To The Recipe

I recently brewed up a batch of Linebacker Doppel Bock that called for the addition of lime zest and lime juice so I figured I may as well share it with you.

As always I first started by adding 4 cups of filtered water to a 3 quart pan and brought it to a hard boil.


While waiting for the water to boil I grated the zest of 2 small limes and put the zest into a sanitized muslin hop sack.


I then tied the muslin hop sack into a secure knot and trimmed off the excess muslin with a pair of sanitized scissors.




I then turned the heat off under the pot after the water boiled and tossed the muslin sack into the pot of hot water.

I then cut the limes in half and used a squeezer to add the juice to the hot water as well.


I then added my cans of extract to the hot water, stirred them up really good and poured the whole thing into the 2 gallon MR keg. The keg already contained 4 quarts of filtered water that I had added earlier according to the standard MB instructions.

After topping the keg off to the 8.5 quart mark with more filtered water I stirred the mixture up really well aerating the mixture in the process before pitching the dry Brewer yeast.



I pitched the dry brewing yeast, directly into the keg's 70-75F mixture of extract and adjuncts, and left it to soak in the mixture for 5 minutes.




After soaking in the mixture for 5 minutes I aerate The mixture one more time by stirring it up vigorously with a sanitized long handled spoon.



I then twisted the tops on tight and left them to ferment for the next 21 days at 70F and repeated this same process for the next 5 recipes I brewed that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment